Dr. Frank Evans
Friday, June 19, 2020
Here is an update:
- New windows were delivered today at Albright Middle School. Some of the new windows for the Administrative Office are backordered and it is not known when they will be delivered and installed.
- Replacement window installation is continuing. Over the past three weeks half of the new windows have been installed so it has been estimated that in another four weeks the AMS window installation should be completed. So far 24 windows have been installed, two are being installed this morning and 36 windows remain to be installed.
- New windows have now been installed next to the new windows installed two summers ago. They are the same construction and design but were done by a different manufacturer.
- Tonight Dr. Chung and I will look at the solid panel color difference to determine if the older panels need to be replaced from the construction two years ago, the panels should be repainted to match the new solid panels being installed (causing a potential maintenance problem), or the older 2018 panels are fine and nothing needs to be done.
- The installation of he 20+ windows at Stella May Swartz School will be installed. The new windows are scheduled to be delivered on-site and stored in storage units on the hard surface playground next week.
- The painter is following the window installers at AMS and touching up interior walls as needed.
- New louvers have been shipped and will arrive Monday. The louvers are required for Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning (HVAC) units.
- The fan coil arrived yesterday.
- Unit ventilators are due August 3, 2020.
- Window removal and installation of plywood inserts with plastic is done at Stella May Swartz and dumpsters removed.
- Some burn marks were noted where the clear story window unit at AMS. The window unit was attached to the structural steel and had to be cut off with a torch. It is not yet known if the new window will cover the burn marks or if repairs will be needed.
- July 7th will be the start of window installation at Stella May Swartz School.
- July 6th is the start of new playground installation at Stella May Swartz by a different contractor and coordination is needed for the placement of their storage containers so that new window installation is not affected. Manny Godinez and Juan Sandoval will assist with coordination for the placement of the containers housing the new playground equipment. Old playground equipment removed will be removed by a separate contractor who will refurbish and sell to a third world country.
- $69,000 of contingency money remains for Summer 2020 construction.
- Payment #4 has been received for $354,567.20 that will be reviewed by the architect and paid July 15, 2020 and the check released July 16, 2020.
- August 3, 2020 remains the date of Carrier air handler delivery.
- A meeting will be held with the contractor, sub-contractor for steel, sub-contractor for masonry, and the architect to review the engineer's recommendations on the structural steel and masonry work to be done at the art room at Stella May Swartz School.
- The architect does not believe anything on the inside of the art room will be disturbed.
- Work on the outside will include removal of face brick, packing of a special grout between the face brick and concrete block wall in the 1/2 to 3/4 inch gap to the structural steel repair done in 1999 when the HVAC was installed and the structural steel was cut.
- A new two foot piece of structural steel will be added between the second floor and extending to the first floor steel. This will address the brick wall that is sliding down and provide proper structural steel support.